Using bore water on rice
Rice growers using groundwater on their crops need to plan ahead to minimise the negative impacts of the water salinity. In particular, they need to:
- Have constant access to a properly calibrated salinity meter to monitor the salt content of the water;
- Set up their layouts so that water circulates (i.e. alternate stops);
- Know the salinity limits for each rice growth stage;
- Be willing to drain water from the block once thresholds have been exceeded, especially between P.I. and young microspore.
- Plan for the crop water use to increase (as saline water moves more readily through soil than fresh water).
Read the full article, written by John Fowler for Farm Talk, Nov 2015.